Saturday, December 8, 2012

Rosewood Pottery Studio

So the contract job I was working ended about a month ago. I was not worried at all when this happened. In fact I had a peace that it was just meant to be for some greater purpose, for God's purpose! And since than so many things have been happening.. and all for the good!
The biggest one for sure has been Rosewood Pottery Studio. I 1st heard about this place when I purchased my kick wheel back in the spring. The guy I bought it from told me about the studio but wasn't sure where it was or if it was still in business. But it was enough to peak my interest. So I went home and thanks to modern technology found their website on the internet within a few minutes. Turns out they were still in business, but were moving their location and so were temporarily not up and running. So I checked back every now and then over the period of about 5 months. Until September. When driving downtown with my mom one Saturday afternoon we passed the new location with its big mural on the wall outside. So we stopped and went in and I met Janet. The co-owner with her partner Kathleen. She was so friendly and enthusiastic about her new space and clay. She spent an hour just showing me around and telling me all about the business, the classes offered, everything. I signed up that day for a class and was so super excited because I hadn't had the opportunity to touch clay since I'd graduated from college 2 years earlier.
Well, long story short... after my other job ended I went to Janet and Kathleen to ask them what they thought about me possible becoming their studio intern. It turns out they liked me as much as I liked them and we quickly agreed on a loose plan and I am now the Studio Intern at Rosewood. Which means not only do I get to keep playing with clay and making my artwork.. but I also now get to learn all about running a business, fixing wheels and changing out kiln elements. Oh and I get to make glazes! Thank you Professor Lorene for having your husband Jo teach a glaze chemistry class while I was in college!
I just needed to share because I am so enjoying this new group of friends I have found at Rosewood Pottery. Its so nice to have a creative space to be in again since graduating from college and to be getting muddy making pots! Here are some pieces I've made since getting back into clay. They will all be for sale at the Holiday Open House at Rosewood Pottery Studio tomorrow, Sunday December 9th from 12-6pm!
If you live in Richmond, Va or nearby I hope you can stop in for a visit to meet the warm and welcoming owners as well as all the great people who make Rosewood what it is!
"Yet you, Lord, are our Father.We are the clay, you are the potter;we are all the work of your hand." Isaiah 64:8
"This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD: 'Go down to the potter's house, and there I will give you my message.' So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him. Then the word of the LORD came to me: 'O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?' declares the LORD. 'Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.'" Jeremiah 18: 1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment