Last night I had one of those... hmm, what to cook nights. And after looking through the fridge and freezer I threw together a tasty and healthy dinner of Blanched Kale Salad and Shrimp with Mushrooms in a Lemony sauce.
I love Kale... but not raw. I just have a really hard time getting past the deep earthy mineral-y flavor. So my way of getting around that while still maintaing all the nutrients of raw Kale is to blanche it! Its so easy! Then I just make whatever dressing I'm feeling like and mix it up and ta-da! A beautiful bright green and still crunchy Kale Salad with a much milder flavor.
Prep Time: 10 min
8-10 Large Kale Leaves- de-stalked and chopped into 2 inch pieces
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1tbsp Lemon Juice
1-2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 fresh corn on the cobb- just the kernels sliced off and quickly sauteed for 2-3 minutes
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
1. Place chopped kale leaves in a large heat safe bowl, pour near boiling water over kale just enough to cover.
2. Using tongs swirl kale, making sure all leaves are submerged. Wait 30 Seconds
3. Drain water and refill with cold water from the sink- add 2 cups ice cubes
4. Using tongs stir kale to make sure the ice water reaches everything and then drain. Squeeze excess water from kale leaves.
5. Loosed kale by gently rubbing leaves through your fingers. Add Balsamic Vinegar, Lemon juice and Olive Oil. Stir kale to incorporate evenly, then add corn, tomatoes, and Salt & Pepper to taste.
Serve immediately or store in a sealed container the fridge for up to 2 days.
Shrimp with Bacon and Mushrooms in Lemon Sauce:
Prep Time: 20-30 min
Cook Time: 20 Min
1 bag shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 Large Baby Bella Mushroom- sliced 1/4 inch thick
6 slices bacon- cooked and chopped (I use the Oscar Meyer precooked)
3 cloves garlic- minced
1/4 cup white wine
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lemon- zest and juice
1. Thaw shrimp in cold water for 20-30 minutes ahead of time
2. Heat skillet to medium high, add 2 tbs butter and 1 tbs olive oil. Once heated add mushrooms- cook until nicely carmelized. About 6-8 minutes
3. Put mushrooms in prep bowl, cook or reheat bacon depending on if using raw or pre-cooked. Drain any excess oil.
4. In same pan as mushrooms and bacon, add 2 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil. Add minced Garlic. Add Shrimp. Turn heat to medium. Add 1/4 cup white wine, lemon zest and lemon juice.
5. Cook shrimp in sauce until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Serve over rice, pasta or a salad!