Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Driftwood Beauty

Sorry about the infrequent posting of late.. I just got hired to a new part-time job at the YMCA!! And started in a more official role as apprentice at the studio.  Between the 2 it will be a 42-45 hr work week so the posts may continue to be infrequent over the next few weeks as I get adjusted. 

In the mean time I want to share some more of my adventures in Florida! While in St. Augustine my Aunt took me to the Baliker Gallery. We went on a week day so we couldn't go inside because the gallery is only open during the weekend but Paul Baliker has a lot of his driftwood sculptures outside so we walked around the grounds. 

 I had never heard of the artist, Paul Baliker before, but he works in both wood and bronze and his work is stunning!
 This looked like a work in progress with the dragon head emerging from the drift wood. 

 This statue was my favorite. I'm pretty sure it is made entirely of driftwood and it is absolutely incredible! There are so many things to capture your eyes. 
 The central character is a big octopus surrounded by all kinds of sea creatures.

I love natural drift wood but this beautiful art work took it to a whole new level!

No comments:

Post a Comment