Thursday, June 6, 2013

Thrifty Thursday: A Dresser Makeover!

It's Thrifty Thursday and I had to reach deep into my photo archives for this one as I haven't photographed my most recent thrifting cache from a few weekends ago!

But don't worry, this is one of my favorites so I am more than happy to share!


As you might have read a few days ago in my post A China Press Makeover , I completely revamped my room about 5 years ago when I was home from college one summer. 
I came across this dresser by looking through craigslist. There was no photo, just a description for an antique dresser with marble top and crystal knobs that would be for sale at estate sale the following saturday. That saturday morning I work up early and coerced my mom into going with me downtown to where the sale was. 

Fortunately we got there before they opened and were the 1st ones so when the older couple who were really just having a small garage sale opened their door I asked about the dresser and was shown inside to view it. It had original glass/ crystal knobs, key holes in all the drawers, dovetail jointing and was solid wood, I was sold and asked how much? When they said $65 I almost started jumping up and down!

Not 10 minutes later while loading it into my Dad's SUV 3 other people had come and asked about the dresser! There is truth in the statement "The early bird catches the worm!"

I only took a before pic of it with my old cell phone at the time and have no idea where that photo may be so I only have it post sanding. 




(pardon the blurry cell phone pictures... they were all I had of the before)

It took a lot of elbow grease with this little lady, but after 2 days of sanding and sanding and more sanding... I primed her twice with Kilz and then painted her in a pretty white that had just a hint of pink in it. 


I cleaned the crystal knobs which were a bit dirty and the marble top and she looked perfectly shabby chic when it was all said and done! I purposely left the top two drawers the original wood veneer because a) i couldn't for the life of me get the smaller knobs off b)the veneer was in almost perfect shape and c) I liked the character it added, hinting at its former life while showing off its new style! 


No comments:

Post a Comment