Sunday, August 4, 2013

Gluten Free Drop Scones

Last night I was craving something sweet and chocolate... unfortunately, there was no chocolate in the house!! GAH!! So instead I decided to do some late night baking. 

I pulled down my favorite gluten-free flour: Pamela's All Purpose Baking Flour, and after perusing the recipes on the back and making sure we had all the ingredients, decided to make scones! 
We didn't have the raisins but we did have craisins which I prefer anyway. We also had frozen blueberries which I decided to add to half the batch. 


I've always liked the idea of scones, but only ever had a few that I actually liked. I know they are supposed to be this way, but I just always find them too dry. The only ones I liked, ironically considering I hated every other food offered there, were the ones sold at my college grab and go cafe. Of course, those weren't gluten free. 

Anyway, these scones came out sooo good! Totally beat the college ones and have a lovely rich taste. They're a little softer and slightly less dry than your typical scones but I am just fine with that. I also think I could have gotten them more firm by cooking them longer but eh, why bother when I like the how they turned out.

Gluten Free Drop Scones:
Makes: 10-12
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Times: 15-17 minutes

2 1/4 cups Pamela's Gluten Free Baking Mix
4 tbs Unsalted Butter - soft/room temp
2/3 c milk (or milk sub like Coconut, Almond, Rice milk)
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 large egg 
1/2 cup Craisins or Raisins

Optional: 1/2 cup frozen blueberries 

Preheat Oven to 375 Farenheit

1. Mix Flour with baking powder, butter, milk, and egg. Stir until batter is just coming together. 
2. Add Craisins and any other additions. 
3. Stir batter to make sure everything is evenly incorporated. 
4. On a baking stone (or metal sheet) place parchement paper. Spray with cooking oil. 
5. Drop scoops of batter in even rows 2 inches apart onto baking surface. About 1/4 cup per scoop and try to keep them piled high (don't flatten them out, they'll do some a bit naturally while cooking).
6. Bake for 15-17 minutes.

Note: if you use fresh or frozen fruit- bake for an additional 5-7 minutes. I cooked all of mine for 17 minutes and my Craisin only scones were perfect but I should have cooked the blueberry ones longer as they were a bit gooey in places. 

Eat them warm! Or serve the next day for breakfast with clotted cream (or coconut milk whipped cream) which is what I used!















No comments:

Post a Comment