Sunday, April 14, 2013

Planting Season!

Every year... excluding the year I was living in Arkansas, I plant an herb garden in the spring. As you might have figured out by now, if you've been following my blog, I really love to cook! And I'm kind of a foodie so having a fresh herb garden at my disposal is a must during the warmer months!
 This year I was better about getting it planted early in the hopes that they can take root and grow nice and big to last throughout the spring and summer! 


Fritz seems to enjoy the new additions to our back yard as he has lots of new smells to discover! 


Several of my herbs from last year held on and made it all through the winter... they got a bit straggly but it was so nice to be able to use fresh oregano, rosemary, parsley and thyme for recipes in the dead of winter! And lemon balm for tea and garnishing. They've come back full swing and are enjoying the sunshine now! 






Spring is not my favorite season but it is always a nice refresher after my favorite seasons of Autumn and Winter to see things long dormant and dead spring to life with the bright almost neon greens of early spring time. 
I have several more herbs I want to add to my garden this year but for now I think I'm pretty well set!

Sweet Basil and Basil 

 Dill and Cilantro
Lavender, Chives and sharing the Chive's pot are my lovely succulent Cuban Oregano that made it all through the winter inside... I'm hoping they perk up and take off because they're so cute with a peach fuzz fuzziness to them and tasty in salads! 

I can't wait April 27th when Maymont will have their Herbs Galore fest which is where I got my Cuban Oregano last year. I might be out of town and miss it this year, sadly but it is a great place to go for the afternoon and enjoy the park and different vendors! I usually only get 2 or three herbs there because they're frankly over priced but they have such a broad selection its worth it for the more exotic herbs. 

Someday I'd love to plant more than just herbs, but for now our yard isn't large enough for a vegetable garden. How bout you? Do you like to do any planting in spring that includes edibles? What are your favorites?



No comments:

Post a Comment